Friday, November 26, 2010

Second Thoughts

I've had a plan (since June) to run the AZ RNR marathon in January 2011. I have a free entry and have been training in a Runners World "break 4:30" plan. The plan calls for 4 runs per week including a long run on the weekend. The past three long runs have not been fun at all.
To make matters worse, I had 16 scheduled today and quit at the 10 mile mark. I had no mojo and no desire. The run itself wasn't horrible, just not fun; not enjoyable. So around mile 7, I started thinking about quitting and calling my wife to pick me up (this eventually happened), and I fought the shame and guilt for three more miles and then threw in the towel. Fuck.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

These things happen! I was planning on running the AZ RNR marathon too but my training just wasn't working for me. So I opted for the half and I'll be running that instead. Since you have a free entry its not a huge loss if you make it an easy marathon and not try to go for that sub 4:30 goal, right? I hope the rest of your training goes well!

ShutUpandRun said...

Fuck is right. It's not fun to run when you hate it. As much as i love to run, I've been there. If you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. Sleep on it and see.

Anonymous said...

I think they need to add a "not fun anymore" stage to training cycles. It seems I always get to it sometime during training and I self-doubt what I'm doing. Keep active and know that you can always change your mind later if you need to...but I have a feeling you can do this.