Saturday, March 26, 2011

ARR South Mountain 20K Race Report

2:10 on the Garmin 2:12 chip time. Mmmm, last place in my division. Must work hills into routine. Automatic PR because I've never gone this distance in a race. This 20K is an out and back through the hills of South Mountain in Phoenix. You can get a better idea of the elevation with this--
Reminds me of........ except for that growth in the cleave
And the beauty of the course here:

I haven't been putting in that many miles lately and definitely no hill work, so I was not thinking about setting any records. I wanted to make this race within my long slow run range of around 11:00 minute miles. My overall average pace was 10:23 so I'm happy. The hill work was kicking my butt, but it's nice to know that I recovered some time on the downhills.
Mile 1: 9:40
Mile 2: 11:00 up up up
Mile 3: 10:26
Mile 4: 9:20 nice downhills
Mile 5: 9:28
Mile 6: 10:09
Mile 7: 10:59 back up again
Mile 8: 11:43
Mile 9: 12:09 ouch!
Mile 10: 12:15 more ouchy!!
Mile 11: 9:40 glide and stride
Mile 12: 9:59 I said glide and STRIDE!
Final .4: 9:16 that's better
Look at my 15 foot shadow

Typical ARR race starting zone. Well organized, friendly, and efficient.












Then we got a little testy didn't we? This 6 year old and his daddy came by me already past the turnaround and on course to finish in under 2 hours. It took me a while, but I had forgotten that there was a 6:30 start for those who thought they might not finish. Better luck when you get a bit older kid, maybe you'll be able to join the big leagues!


Hey Jimmy! An extra hour?? Growing up as a cheater will not get you very far.

Got to the turnaround and I hadn't really consulted the Garmin prior to that. 
Apparently it's ok to pee next to the cone?

I was surprised to see that I was in range of my goal, but I knew that I had some major uphills to run before the final 2 miles of downhills. These were tough! Made it to the final downhills and ran it in. Nice race ARR!

Oh, and we had an ultrasound Tuesday: Girl!!

6 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

GIRL GIRL. I love girls. Girls rule. Congrats.

On congrats on your 20K. Last in your division is an honor. Not everyone can pull that off.

Beautiful course, btw.

Johann said...

Nice one! Well done! That's a great run on a great route. Really looks beautiful. Agree, could only have been a girl...:)

The Boring Runner said...

Way to go man. I'm with you - I can't find ANY hills around here and need to get up to south mountain sooner rather than later. once a month huh? Very cool. I think that I could get in on some of those....

Unknown said...

hey! wow,....20k. that's great! i sure do miss running/riding out there in the desert...
so a girl, eh? very cool. i had no idea! guess i need to come around here more often.
shame on me...

great news!

Whitney said...

Hooray for a girl!! Automatic PRs are the best.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Congratulations on your girl!!!
And congrats on a nice 20K!

Come up to my neck of the woods- there's some hills here. :)