Phoenix runners can almost always count on slower paces from mid-June through September. Many times, the heat is so debilitating that runners take a hiatus, switch to less rigorous aerobic activity like llama farming, or worst of all, run indoors on a treadmill--sometimes barefoot!! Sickening I know but that is the price we pay for a democracy with people named Larry.
Well not me! With only a few days of adieu, I present the first draft of my summer running goals*
- Track work once per week focusing on improving ladder times as well as.......
- One mile at sub 7:00
- Maintain a base of 25-30 miles per week with 4-5 runs
- PR the 5K distance at SYTO in July and again in September......
- at the Grasshopper Bridge 5K finishing sub 25:00
- 3X per week Kettlebell cross train -barefoot, YES BAREFOOT!**
- Swim laps twice per week
- ease up on hyphenation and made up words
- Continue to document and report blog-world plagiarism
The summer schedule looks pretty consistent-- a trip to the coast, some work in the office, lots of family time. These goals should fit in nicely and set up this soon to be 46 year old for The RTP 2012 Fall running goals.
* I will certainly adieu and re-draft these goals as many times as I damn well please this summer
** Show me proof that pre-historical humans wore shoes while doing a kettlebell workout. I'll wait....
I thought so.