Sunday, November 22, 2009

ITBS of course!

Got the ole' ITBS blues. Right knee killing me on today's 5 miler. I'm doing almost everything wrong in training. 7 day stretch between runs. Trying for long and fast without building up, running through the pain, etc...


You'll recognize this as my urban cityboy Asics commercial route, but a minute faster than last time because I followed my trusty .9/.1 interval (thanks Lauren). Cardio is great --feel like I could run a lot faster and longer, but knee just wasn't in the mood. During the last mile it felt like I had a knife sticking in my knee. The internet gives advice for ITBS in two categories: relief and remedy, with lots of product thrown in. I will try ice and ibuprofen and slow build up. On to breakfast and building a train set for my two year old who will play Godzilla

and destroy the only supply route leading into his room --but what he doesn't know is that his rampage will awaken other normally dormant creatures resting in the center of the Earth which will lead to a full-scale battle. Here we go again...........

Just got back from Sports Authority with a foam roller. Pain that hurts so good and feels like fire and is the very thing I need to help my condition and I'm glad I'm doing it but it huuuurrrrttts!

2 comments:

RunningLaur said...

Glad the walk/run worked for you.

Stretch out for the ITB! A foam roller is the best (and very painful) option. If you search youtube for 'ITB stretch' for 'ITB foam roller' you'll find the best stretches. Loosening up your hip (same leg as the knee pain) should help as well.

Denise said...

Hey! just found your blog...as I was reading this post I was thinking foam roller! I'm glad you got one. I used one last year after I ran too soon after my first marathon and had really bad IT pain. The roller fixed me right up. It hurts, but it's the good pain! Get better!